September 13, 2010

Red Rock Relay

This past weekend Jason and I ran the Red Rock Relay with 3 people from our ward and 4 people I know from the running community/ran Ragnar with and 3 strangers. I ran a total of 13.5 miles and Jason ran 17 miles.





We camped the night before in Cedar City at one of the runner's home. It was a cold night outside it was around 35 degrees. the nice thing about it is we got to know all the runners from camping and driving down together. At Ragnar we didn't get to know the other van because you only see them at the exchange for 10-20 minutes.






Jason ran the relay and had only run 1 time in the past 6 weeks and it was about 5 miles. I was worried he would get hurt and I would have to run his last leg but he did great.






One of my legs was on a dirt road that was really dusty and I get a little asthma sometimes when running around smoke/dust. Jason was worried about me so he made me trade him legs. It was so nice of him I would of been coughing for a few days if I had run on the dirt road.






Here is our team at the start at Brian Head Resort


I was the first runner and I started at the top of the ski slope. The team took the ski lift up with me and while I ran down the rode down lift. This is my favorite picture from the weekend.

Tyler, Dane, Jason waiting for the relay to start
Me finishing my first leg of 3 miles with a 1,100 foot drop. I almost slipped a few times.
Waiting to start my last leg







Jason finishing up his last leg






Jason finishing his last leg and me waiting starting my last leg
Below is the finish line right outside of Zion National Park



Our team at the finish

If you want to run a relay I would recommend Ragnar over Red Rock is better organized. Also try to get in van 1 you run the legs at better time of the day.


It was a fun race and great to make friends with our team. I would have to say after running 2 relays I rather run a marathon than a relay.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a cool race---the scenery is gorgeous. (I miss the mountains.) What a fun activity to do as a couple. It was nice of Jason to trade "shifts".

Ross n Jen said...

I love the pic of you guys on the lift! And I'd better get an invite to the next relay, RIZZ!!! : )

Lilet said...

Looks like fun, that is so funny that Jenny was in your car and stuff. :)